Friday, August 10, 2007

Tallu and Yaye new recruits? Oh that would be bad.



Forget that Private Benjamin is my (Tallu) favorite Goldie Hawn movie. I cannot stomach the following:

Source: Associated Press (read the whole story)

WASHINGTON (AP) - Frequent tours for U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan have stressed the all-volunteer force and made it worth considering a return to a military draft, President Bush's new war adviser said Friday.

``I think it makes sense to certainly consider it,'' Army Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute said in an interview with National Public Radio's ``All Things Considered.''

``And I can tell you, this has always been an option on the table. But ultimately, this is a policy matter between meeting the demands for the nation's security by one means or another,'' Lute added in his first interview since he was confirmed by the Senate in June.


And leave it again to the british press...this link I found from Mothers Against the Draft.

Concern over US army recruitment
This year the army appears to be on target to reach the 80,000 goal but to do so it has had to double the top enlistment bonuses for recruits from $20,000 to $40,000. It has also had to loosen medical standards, forgive more minor criminal offences, raise the age limit for new recruits from 35 to 42 and accept more people who did not finish high school.

Somehow...I don't think they'd actually do it. But the thought is quite, well... can you imagine going through boot camp? Not to mention anything else. On the good side, someone would finally force me to exercise everyday...but I think I'd rather force that issue on my own thank you very much.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Canada, here I come!

It was always just a matter of time.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home