Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Much Belated Compost Bin Post

Mr. Y and I rolled up the old sleeves (actually, we wore t-shirts) , broke out the power tools (okay, just one power tool and lots of non-power tools) and built us a compost bin. Behold the finished product:


I plan on attaching hooks on the front and back and using a black tarp for heat-attracting coverage and optimum compost cookin'.

If you want to see photos of the whole process, you can visit the Flickr series. There are more pretty flower pictures there as well.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

best part about compost: rats

they are so cute

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I have thought about our local critters. Not so much rats as raccoons, skunks, chipmunks, etc. So we don't compost our food scraps at all. All the compost matter is from the yard: leaves, pine needles, grass clippings and the like. Hopefully, that will make it less appealing as a rodent restaurant.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love composting so I'd thought I'd share my view on the subject of varmits visiting the compost.

The best part of composts that have visiting critters is that they naturally
ariate the organic matter. Scratching and digging only adds more air and turns the organic matter albeit slowly. Even when I composted in the city using garden clippings and kitchen scraps, I never saw a rat in the compost (at least when I was near the compost during the day)

I do add kitchen scraps (no meat or dairy) I dig a deep hole in the compost and then bury the scraps, our cats and chickens don't even know it's there.

Keep your compost far away from your house and healthy with kitchen scraps at the bottome perhaps with a lid and you should have little problems with rats...or other creepy critters the crawl through the compost

Tallulah, she who loves to play in compost.

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home