Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Yaye Tames Her Beast with a Rake

Well, I've got blisters in some strange places, but it's worth it. I've been raking and hauling and clearing for the past couple days. We are SPRUNG here in New England at last, and I am cleaning out my garden beds - which are all over the place! I tried taking some before-and-afters, but I don't think you can really see a big difference in the photos. For instance:

Before

After

Doesn't look too impressive in the picture, but in person it's a dramatic difference. And then there is the incredible fresh scent of soil and new growth. Here's where the leaves and pine needles end up...

...the compost heap in our vegetable garden. I want to build a two-bin surround for the compost so it's not just a hard-to-manage heap like this. I just have to get up the nerve to fire up the ol' power tools in the garage.

Here's the best part of cleaning out the beds: uncovering the crocus.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yaye, your compost heap looks great. question...you have what appears to be a french drainpipe sticking up in the middle, is this what you use to water the compost? Seems like a great concept. Please enlighten me, if it works I may want to do that to mine.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

doood! krokus rocks!


seriously: beyootiful flowers

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you! Tallu, I've never even heard of a French drainpipe, but that's probably what it is! The former homeowners left behind a compost heap with the pipes in it and we just kept them in place! See? I don't research EVERYTHING, just almost everything.

I have pictures of more pretty flowers on flickr!

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home