Saturday, February 16, 2008

Fangirl Yaye Discovers Eleni Mandell



A few weeks ago, I came across this video of Eleni Mandell live at The El Ray Theatre. I saved the page as a Bookmark so I could check her out when I had more time. Well, I have three major presentations due Monday, so naturally, I have wisely chosen today to follow-up.

I went by her website, her MySpace page, and watched a few of her videos on YouTube, and I have to say, I am really digging her! Retro, yet fresh; derivative, but she spreads it around enough to keep things interesting. She reminds me alternately of Suzanne Vega and Leonard Cohen, which often results in a Nick Cave-i-ness with a periodic vocal dollop of Bjork. Excellent all around.

I thought at first that she might be French or Canadian, because of the song above and her many Canadian tour dates. However, in visiting her site bio, I have discovered that she bought her first album on Melrose, experienced her first real kiss on Van Nuys Boulevard (standing in front of Straw Hat Pizza, no less!), and fulfilled a teenage dream by working with DJ Bonebrake of X (the significance of which I do NOT need to explain to Tallulah!)!!

HOME GIRL!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...she's incredible.
Straw hat pizza...Bonebrake...oh my...

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home