Sunday, June 10, 2007

1 year, 6 months, 9 days - Talu's life forever altered

School's Out for Summer, which means this fall my not so little Yayo will be a Junior in High School, which leads me to contemplate many things. First and foremost my boy has only 2 years left of school, then it's off to trade school or college or work...and what does that mean for me? It also leads me to think about the fact that in 1 year 6 months and 9 days, my son, that little boy who would play in boxes with me, and make sand castles and ride his spring horse will be 18 years old.

I wonder how these milestones will affect me. Like the day I watched Yayo walk for the first time I knew I was moving into a new phase of motherhood. And while Yayo's teen years have been a remarkably frustrating time, I am starting to feel an emptiness so deep inside, that there are times I am physically nauseated by its hold on me.

What will I do with myself when my boy inevitably moves away, do I start thinking about this now? Or do I wait 1 year, 6 months, 9 days before I panic about my future empty nest.

I guess I see how I feel when it's only 1 year, 6 months and 8 days away...tick tock tick tock

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a mom of 3 little boys - all under 3... your post made me actually tear up... you can tell the love you have for your son... and it's an amazing thing - this motherood journey!! Crazy. ANd even though my oldest is screaming for my to bring him up some water in bed and to make sure their are no monsters in the closet - I pray that in 16 years he's still calling me for something! Great post!
- Audrey
Pinks & Blues

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh thanks Audrey!

Wow, you're on one heck of a journey, enjoy all those hectic moments because before you know it, one of your little boys may have saved up his own money and is calling on classified ads to buy a motorcycle...And you don't know about it until you answer the phone and the person on the other end is saying "Hi, I'm calling Yayo back about the Honda Rebel I'm selling" That was yesterday...I've just now started to breathe again.

Enjoy your time being mommy.

Take Care....

Tallulah

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Tallu....

Not another freakin' countdown!! Yayo on the cusp of manhood. No, I don't care for that.

Time bad.

As for the Honda Rebel...I seem to remember watching video of a precious little two-year-old demonstrating his fledgling speech as prompted repeatedly by his mommy:

Mommy: What does Daddy drive?
Son: A Harley!

Can you say "impressionable young lad"? How about "genetic fate"?

It's as inevitable as my swollen ankles. Let's just hope can convince Yayo to wear a helmet (Do as I say, not as I did, Son). What else is a mommy to do?

...I feel your pain, Parco!

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay fine, So I embrace a double standard when it comes to raising my boy...and what was once cute is now utterly frightening. I'm guilty as charged.

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home