Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Tallulah Toddles

Toddles is such a great word, you almost swallow your own tongue whilst getting out the sounds. It's a word that makes your mouth exercise. (bless thine Violent Femmes). It is also a wonderful descriptor of how I feel I am walking through this world.

I have been a freelancer for many years. I became a freelancer in part because my child was always sick. I'm not talking sniffles, no, never that easy, it was always bacterial pneumonia or scarlet fever or horrific allergic reactions which would knock him out of commission for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. This obviously created a struggle at my job and at home, it's the plight of working mothers all over the world. Though the best thing that ever happened to me during my last traditional corporate employment stint was a killer case of viral meningitis that knocked me out for 2 months. That's when I made the final decision to leave the corporate world behind and figure out another way. And it was great for a while. That was until my husband was aged out of his job. Then it wasn't so great, in fact I must admit after going through this transition which has lasted a few too many years now, it really sucks.

So here I am, at the crossroads, the devil taunting me in one direction, my heart another. For the last 20 years I have taken classes here and there at junior colleges, with the hopes that one day I would be ready to transfer and finish. Being here in WV I decided that the time was now to finally finish what I had started...my degree.


It was just a few weeks ago that Yaye and I were on the phone when a discussion began over Condeleeza Rice buying shoes during Hurricane Katrina. Yaye in her Yaye way or Yaweh, debated with me why it was or wasn't so wrong for Condi to buy shoes during that time . This led me to say the usual comment: Pop top Vans are old, which perhaps Yaye can explain. And I said to her that she should be come a lawyer please read the comments section.

While Yaye gets underway this fall, I will be right behind her as previous engagements require my attention elsewhere (Congratulations Yaye on your College placement Math scores!)

So I continue to toddle, it's far more positive to toddle than to just stop sitting cross legged head in hands in the middle of a busy street with Mac trucks and Soccer moms driving Hummers while giving hummers to their secret lovers - the soccer coach. Anybody been watching the World Cup? I’ve watched a bit...Soccer players are H.O.T. HOT. Oh my god are they hot. I'm usually not one for men in short shorts...but there are always exceptions to the rules. I think I better turn on ESPN... There's some dude on the team from Spain who is so yummy it makes me giggle. I have no need for names...I just want the eye candy. (re-reading the post, is it that obvious I truly struggle with ADD?)


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I seem to remember the conversation going something like this:

Tallu: Poptop vans are old. You should become a lawyer.

Yaye: No, not a lawyer. More like a college professor. I guess I'd have to become a teacher first, huh?

Tallu: Yeah.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home