Saturday, October 14, 2006

And now the S& H Green Stamps

Here's the Green Stamp book I found as well. Still has stamps in it and everything. Did Blue Chip and Green Stamps converge and become Price Club and Costco then PriceCostco then just Costco? Why do I need to know such consumer history? It's like Sambos turning into Hungry Tiger turning into what was it Godfathers Pizza which turned into Bakers Square?

All retail/restaurant histories aside. My only recollection was my mother purchasing her harvest gold crock pot from the Green Stamp store. And that would change our eating habits for ever. It took me 20 years before I could eat stew again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was just wading into adolescence, I lived about a block away from an S&H Green Stamps Redemption Center. The one item that I know for certain was acquired via Green Stamps was my small, red and white plastic (plastic again - was everything in the 70's plastic?), transistor radio. I worshipped that radio.

I used to go to sleep every night with it against my head, tuned to some Top 40 AM station -- I couldn't get reception for the better stations. I also remember listening to Casey Kasem's "American Top 40" show weekend mornings, the radio still glued to my head.

I blame that radio for getting me all hot and bothered about Andy Gibb's recording of "An Everlasting Love" which inspired me to write a novella about a disabled pre-teen who kills herself by rolling her electric wheelchair into the ocean. I actually typed up the damn thing on a manual typewriter.

(Know what a typewriter is, teenyboppers?)

Okay, here's the thing, the damage never heals. I recently downloaded "An Everlasting Love" from iTunes, so I could sit here at my desk singing along, still envisioning my fictional heroine's tragic demise.

2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MOM!! MAAAHHHMMM! I think i'm gonna need use some of your depends. I just weeeed in my pants.

HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHA inhaling deeply AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh my, I can totally see you doing that. electric wheel chair...ocean...Oh my darling parco, I am so thankful you are my non-fiction heroine. Come to think of it, I think the new 2 level Target could be the old Green Stamp building. I remember going there.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home